[3830] NA Sprint CW KL8C(K6VVA) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Sep 10 22:26:37 PDT 2011

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: KL8C
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA/KL7

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: IOTA NA-041

---------------------

Club: Last Frontier Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

If you value your sanity, I do NOT reccommend doing a September CW SPRINT
Contest-Pedition to Alaska with an A Index of 34 and K=4.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ;-(

Now after a Marie Callender's Spaghetti with Meat Sauce M-Wave dinner, MORE
Cabernet and Jack Daniels on the Rocks, I am composed enough to tender my 3830
posting.  Maybe.

20m was pathetic except for mostly loud W6 stations and a few East of the
Mississippi ops with good ears.  When most folks went to 40m, it was still
daylight here and that was a a real grinder.  It took Cabernet to get me
through the last hour.  80m was like a desert wasteland (N6TR gets the 80m 'Big
Sig' award, however).  TR4W says I called CQ 706 times during the event (mostly
UNanswered CQ's).

As a side venture to my primary IOTA NA-041 Expedition, I contemplated trying
to break my existing 2007 Low Power AK Record.  Then I pondered trying to break
Tree's QRP AK Record, but decided that would not be very cool.  The final
decision was to go HP with one of my KPA500 amps ~500 to 600w.  Had I run low
power, I dougt 50% of the folks I worked would have even heard me.  To say that
condx royally sucked up here in the Northern Latitude would be an
understatement.

Two days ago the condx were semi-stellar.  S9+ East Coast stations rolling in
on 20m during CW Sprint hours.  Then yesterday while working W6NV with an S9 +
20dB signal, Oliver informed me that a solar event had just occurred.  About 5
minutes later, within seconds he vanished into my S5 local noise level.  This
did not give me warm fuzzies about propagation for the CW SPRINT Contest, even
though I had erected some better (although portable) antennas than I used from
the same QTH here in 2007.

During the Thursday Night NS, K5ZD had a MONSTER signal on both 20m and 40m.
It's hard to believe I didn't hear Randy one time during the 4 hour Sprint.

I didn't hear any other AK stations on tonight, so if I was the only AK Mult in
your log, then enduring the Masochistic PAIN on this end was worth it.

At least the pounding rains I endured here the first 4 days ceased, and today
was beautiful shorts and tank-top WX.  Got to work on my tan for a few hours
:^)

In honor of my father who was a U.S. Coast Guard officer stationed up here
during WWII, I used the name ART.  My dad helped me put up my first antenna as
a Novice in 1957, and then some yagis on slip up masts.  Tnx again, Dad!!!

73 and Tnx for the Q's and Mults.  I now QSY to resume my eyeball QSO with Mr.
Daniels...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust (a/k/a KL8C - "ART AK")

P.S. Oh gosh... I now feel guilty as heck after reading N6XI's post - sorry,
OM.