[3830] NA Sprint CW W4AU HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Sep 11 08:52:55 PDT 2011

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: W4AU
Operator(s): W4AU
Station: W4AU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA

   80:
   40:   74      17
   20:   67      22
---------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

I thought that I had suffered every problem in a contest until last night...

A few hours before the start I was happily on my tractor mowing the "back 40"
when, BANG, I thought that someone had shot me in the back of the head!
Instead, I had been stung by one of the giant wasps that have shown up around
here in the past couple of years. These suckers are big; about 1 1/2" long and
very nasty. It got me just behind the ear and was the worst sting I have ever
gotten. It felt a bit better after some ice and advil but then began to throb.
After a few minutes in the Sprint it really began to bother me so I took some
benedryl (sp?). That helped a lot, but you can guess the rest. Starting the
third hour I felt drowsier and drowsier and my brain began to struggle with
little things. I knew that I was in trouble when I called N6TR and couldn't
remember his name when he sent it! Tree was patient, but after that I just
decided to call it quits and go to bed.

It was too bad as conditions were great here on the east coast; plenty of
strong signals on 20 and 40 (I never made it to my favorite band, 80). Thanks
for the patience, guys, and the Q's.

73 - John, W4AU