[3830] NA Sprint CW W0BH HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Sep 11 21:53:41 PDT 2011

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: KS

   80:   94     1.2
   40:  108     1.4
   20:   98     1.4
---------------------

Team: Heatwave 1

Comments:

That was fun .. NS practice every week is paying off!

20 was long at first, but it gradually shortened and the Qs and mults just kept
coming in. 40 was excellent and quiet, and even 80 was workable this evening
although I asked for numerous repeats.

The second radio really helped out until I moved to 80. I'm getting some 80m RF
into the fuse lamp of the 2nd radio QSK switch which burned out the lamp the
last time I ignored it, so I turned off the QSK switch and went to LP on 40 on
the second radio. That netted me exactly zero Qs on 40, but luckily 80 was busy
enough to get me to 300.

With 30 seconds to go, I moved 10 kHZ and put out a CQ. Two stations came back.
I heard the last letter of one call and sent it. There was a pause, then the
other station came back. Just as I was getting ready to send, the first station
sent an exchange with the second station.  The first station would have been a
dupe in my log but wasn't loud, so perhaps we both called CQ at the same time.
The second station came back to me and sent me a number, obviously with the
number of the other station in his log.  By this time, time had run out.  Of
course I couldn't log the contact and am still shaking my head on that one!

Overall, I worked 158 unique calls and missed and never heard NV UT ND NE OK AR
and VT.  In VE-land I only worked ON this time around.  I'd worked the ARQP
earlier during the day with solid copy on 40m all day long, but once Sprint
time came around, I couldn't get AR in the log. Same with OK.

Anyway, a great way to spend Saturday evening. I'll likely be part time or
working with the Hesston College ARC next Saturday for SSB Sprint. We're having
a big Hesston College group of students over for a cookout that evening, but
I'll certainly put in an appearance.

Thanks for the Qs!

73, Bob, w0bh