[3830] WAE SSB 3V8SS(KF5EYY) Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Sep 12 05:33:50 PDT 2011

                    WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: 3V8SS
Operator(s): KF5EYY
Station: 3V8SS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Sousse

   80:   20     0    11
   40:  199   197    35
   20:  888   831    45
   15:  308   258    28
   10:    1     0     1
-------------------------
Total: 1416  1286   297  Total Score = 802,494

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

I went to Sousse on Friday aftrenoon after 2 hour driving from Sfax. I had a
short tour around and a coffee in touristic El Kantaoui Port, then I went to
the club to start preparations.

My idea was to make an audio recording of the whole contest from a remote SDR
located in NL. This will allow checking propagation on the other side and see
how can I "optimize" the pileups in the future operations.
Recording the streaming audio from the Java application required having a
special software. I found a great one called SoundTap and I was testing it
during the week before and worked perfectly.
However, audio streaming in the club was always interrupted after a couple of
minutes. Then I realize that internet connection is not stable. Nothing to do
with that, I forgot about the idea!

Radio propagation was bad and I was surprised getting "unusual" signal levels
from Europe. A quick look at http://dx.qsl.net/propagation/ Website showed a G2
Level Geomagnetic Storm and an R1 Radio blackout. Now it's clear!
I made some good runs on 20m. 15m was open for about 2 hours or so during the
day. I made quick QSYs to 10m to check any sudden opening; it was the desert
there!

Due to hot weather and some commitments, I could only make 21 operating hours
out of 36.

Thank you all for the QSOs!

73
Ash KF5EYY