[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N1PRW Single Op Port QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Sep 12 16:32:20 PDT 2011

                    ARRL September VHF QSO Party

Call: N1PRW
Operator(s): N1PRW
Station: N1PRW

Class: Single Op Port QRP
QTH: EMA

    6:  20      7
    2:  33     10
  222:
  432:  23      9
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  76     26  Total Score = 2,574

Backpack portable QRP operation from the summit of Mount Wachusett in central
Massachusetts. Weather was excellent, conditions were good, equipment performed
reliably as designed. The only fault was that I didn't bring enough battery
power to keep going at full power for as long as I operated. Regardless of
this, I had my best hour (and best DX) at the end when I was running 1/2
power.

Station Equipment:

- Yaesu FT-817ND
- Elk 2M/440L5 portable log periodic antenna
- Excellent aluminum tripod that extends to 8' height
- Homemade wire dipole for 6m constructed from SO-239. Fits in pocket and was
strung between the tripod and a post.
- 12V gel-cell battery

Max power: 5 Watts

I had planned for an early Sunday afternoon of operation on Pack Monadnock, but
faced with the realities of the 5PM summit lockout and other obligations for the
weekend I changed plans in favor of Mount Wachusett.

The Mount Wachusett summit road is STILL closed after two years of
reconstruction, so I opted for the summit hike. To limit the weight for the
hike I cut out one battery and also didn't bring 220 MHz FM.

Operation seemed easier than usual. Most stations were worked on three bands,
or at least all available bands. Had a couple of problems when attempting a 6m
Q off the end of my wire because there was no way to turn it. Only an issue for
FN22 and maybe a couple in FN42. I beat all expectations for 432 Qs and
succeeded at everything I tried there.

Results were so good I stayed on well after dark until 9PM local time, logging
by moonlight. My best hour was my last hour. The wind picked up and in a moment
when it toppled my antennas I considered packing up and leaving, but as I stayed
longer I kept filling the log more quickly and with better DX. At the end I
focused on calling CQ on 144 and making a Q every minute or two.

I wish I could have stayed longer, but the wind was gusting to 30 MPH making
operation difficult and battery power was running low.

This was my best contest by far. No stellar DX but a lot of grids and many
worked on three bands.

73, Alex N1PRW

Photos of the station and of the Mount Wachusett summit and construction:
http://shawsheen.com/2011/arrlvhfsep/