[3830] NA Sprint SSB K3FIV LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Sep 17 21:49:27 PDT 2011

                    NA Sprint SSB Contest - September

Call: K3FIV
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA CM88eu

---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Rig: Flex-3000, 100W
Ant: 135' Carolina Windom at 35 feet, all bands
QTH: 125 miles N of San Francisco, by the ocean

Got home shortly before the open, hurried into the shack, and the radio
wouldn't boot up.  Finally got that working, and then had to get the operator
functioning again.  The first few Qs were shall we say inelegant....but I
finally got the hang of it.

My 100W-and-a-wire was especially challenging on 20 until the early frenzy died
down and the jump balls were less crowded.  Band propagation seemed highly
variable.  One station would struggle to pull me out of the noise.  A few
minutes later another would comment that my signal was booming into the same
area.  Must be those CMEs and sunspots!

The Panadapter on the Flex-3000 was invaluable in this kind of contest. It sure
helps to be able to see the action.

CU in the CA QSO Party Oct 1-2 from MENDocino county.

73,
/Jack de K3FIV