[3830] NA Sprint SSB WQ8RP(N8XX) QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Sep 18 13:02:49 PDT 2011

                    NA Sprint SSB Contest - September

Call: WQ8RP
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: MICHIGAN

   80:  16     1:15
   40:   8      :30
   20:   0      :30
---------------------
Total:  24     Mults = 14  Total Score = 336

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: MRRC/NCC

Comments:

Wow! 20 was a big fat zero - no "really loud" stations, and when I called, I
lost out to a cacophony of KW callers.  Or else I screwed up on N1MM - though I
was sure I had 14200 for the frequency and it showed USB.

First (and probably ONLY) time I'll try WQ8RP for a call during a SSB contest.
It's a tongue twister - besides running <5 watts PEP to a low wire antenna,
which put me at a ERP disadvantage, many folks had a very hard time with the
call, and I had a hard time getting it through.  It probably wouldn't have
helped much to have wav files to allow the computer to send the call -
repetition was often needed.  (Parenthetical note - it was even worse than
using N1L as a call on the CW event, with N1LN in at the same time!)

Several folks told me that QRP in this SSB event was an exercise in masochism -
I now see why.  Perhaps with a "reasonable beam" in a super location it would be
different.

Thanks to all who dug me out of the mud.  I hope I didn't screw up the log with
N1MM.  Score is nothing about which to write home, yet it shows that even a
modest setup, operating <5 Watts, CAN make a few Q's amongst all the "gallons"
who "b**ch & moan" about "losing the the 'jump ball.'"