[3830] Salmon Run N7WA Multi-Op Mobile LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Sep 19 13:59:19 PDT 2011

                    Washington State Salmon Run

Call: N7WA
Operator(s): N7WA
Station: N7WA

Class: Multi-Op Mobile LP
QTH:

   40:   43      0
   20:  220     14
----------------------------
Total:  263     14      0  Mults = 43  Total Score = 46,440

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

In the planning for this mobile run my goals certainly exceeded practicality
in turns of time versus mileage. Originally, I had planned to run along the
southern border of Eastern Washington, head north after reaching Idaho, and
then catch the two most northwestern counties before running home up the middle
of the state along I-90. A "check engine" light two hours into the run (as we
entered the east end of Benton County) made for a change in plans and a bit
more caution. We decided to cut off the most easterly and northerly part of the
trip and the prospect of getting stuck out in the Palouse kept my stomach in a
knot for a few hours. In retrospect, the truck continued to run fine (and the
light went away after getting home) but the journey was probably still more
than one that could have been done in a day.

That said, it was fun having a posse that checked in at every border crossing
and the weather and scenery were worth the trip alone.  Plans for next year
might be to take two days and also have a driver that can share the radio
duties. Also, some kind of switching arrangement that makes it easier to change
bands. I could have probably done well on 15M if I had been willing to stop the
truck to change antenna coils and that had been the intent until the engine
light came on. Then the goal became “just keep going”.  Thanks to all that
pulled my weak signal out. I hope you all got your clean sweeps.

Counties Run:  Klickitat, Yakima, Benton, Franklin, Walla Walla, Columbia,
Garfield, Whitman,  Lincoln, Adams, Grant Kittitas

Counties we had to bail on: Asotin, Spokane, Pend Oreille, Stevens

cheers
dink, N7WA