[3830] CQ WW RTTY VE4EAR SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Sep 25 17:54:56 PDT 2011

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 23:30

   80:   62   120       29       9     7
   40:  154   357       35      45    16
   20:  183   411       42      43    20
   15:  355   937       33      60    24
   10:  228   656       10      58    18
Total:  982  2481      149     215    85  Total Score = 1,113,969

No other words but WOW! I had always thought that 10m contact with EU wa just
some east coast folk lore, but it really does exist. Until this contest I had
never logged zones 14-21 on 10m. That all changed this weekend! I just wish I
could have put more effort into this contest but way too many other family
obligations meant missing a lot of prime time operating on Saturday and
Sunday.

I know this contest is about rate, but for me it turned into a search for 10m
DXCC. Should have run more but spent way too much time S&P. With the bandscope
on the 7700, it is easy to spot signals.

15m was the money band this time out. Everybody left 20m for the higher ones
and it was almost like a contest wasn't going on. Heard some great VU signals
on 20 but couldn't get their attention.

Unfortunately 10m did not open up to NA from here. With the exception of some
back scatter signals, the only F@ skip from NA was from Florida and AK.

No JA on 10m were heard but they were plentiful on 15m Friday night.

This is my first HF experience with Solar flux this high. Normally 15 and 10m
are north/south only, this weekend it was mostly east/west and N/S was much
weaker. Even 40m didn't have the auroral tone as it usually does. There was
plenty of strong EU stations to work, which I have never experienced before.

With all that solar activity, is it safe to go outside?

Hopefully the conditiosn are like this for CQWW SSB next month!

73

Ed