[3830] MiQP K8MR Mobile Multi-Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Apr 26 17:32:40 PDT 2012

                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR, K8BL
Station: K8MR

Class: Mobile Multi-Op LP
QTH: 28 Ctys

   80:   54     12
   40:  468     51
   20:  181     62
   15:    2      1
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  705    126  CW Mults = 66  Ph Mults = 46  Total Score = 172,032

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

In order of appearance:

CTY	CW     SSB     TOTAL
HILL	21	3	24
LENA	7	0	7
JACK	32	10	42
INGH	14	6	20
EATO	10	1	11
CLIN	48	4	52
IONI	23	4	27
GRAT	24	7	31
MIDL	25	6	31
ISAB	31	1	32
CLAR	19	3	22
GLAD	34	3	37
BAY	24	11	35
AREN	24	8	32
OGEM	38	7	45
ROSC	20	5	25
CRAW	19	15	34
OTSE	37	7	44
CHEB	9	1	10
CHAR	17	0	17
ANTR	38	4	42
KALK	41	4	45
GRTR	21	1	22
WEXF	42	4	46
MISS	23	1	24
OSCE	24	6	30
MECO	26	2	28
NEWA	14	2	16

TOTAL	705	126	831

Once again, a nice ride around Michigan to welcome spring. A nice sunny but
cool day. We often see the last snow of the year on the MiQP trip, but none
this year, either in the air or laying on a shaded embankment way up north. I
don't even recall seeing any deer other than a few dead ones along side the
road.

This year I teamed up with Bob, K8BL, for the trip. Bob enjoys driving and I
enjoy operating, so it was a good match with me doing most of the oping except
for a few bathroom and stretch the muscles breaks.

A couple of minor navigation errors led us do deviations from the route plans.
We mistakenly got on I-96 west out of Lansing instead of I-69 east. The first
exit after that was only about 3 miles from IONI, so we continued there and
ended up missing SHIA. We also missed the exit off M131 to get to LAKE, but
then worked WD8S in Lake about 2 minutes later so we did not head back to
there. OTOH we did manage to squeeze in CHEB, CHAR, and MISS that were only
tentatively planned.

The only equipment problem was the computer going catatonic about the time were
leaving EATO. Fixed by reseating the HDD. (I switch HDDs from the normal XP one
to a MSDOS to run NA for contest logging. It apparently had not been in quite
firmly enough). While trying to fix it had K7ZYV in MS calling in, but I
couldn't work him. Thankfully he called in later, but only once. Glad I did not
miss that mult for that reason.

Activity seemed been a bit lower, and/or conditions were somewhat depressed
during the afternoon. I was worried that Tennessee had been hit by an
earthquake or something, as that usually very common state did not make it into
the log until about 8 hours into the contest. During the afternoon a lot of big
in state stations were weaker than earlier or later on 40, and CQ'd in my face.
We did enjoy keeping the faithful supplied with QSOs and mults on both modes.

I hope to see you all in the Ohio QSO Party on August 25, as well as in Dayton
in May.

73  -   Jim   K8MR