[3830] FlQP W4IX SOABMixed LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Apr 29 20:39:22 PDT 2012

                    Florida QSO Party

Call: W4IX
Operator(s): W4IX
Station: W4IX

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: SC

   40:  134     24
   20:  124     21
   15:   22      2
   10:    5      0
--------------------
Total:  285     47  CW Mults = 67  Ph Mults = 29  Total Score = 118,464

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

I first heard this station before the party started, K4O on SSB, 59++ I thought,
boy that sounds like Dan, K1TO..hummmm. ( Thanks Dan!!!! ) First I would like to
thank all the guys who made this QSO Party a hit. The mobile and fixed station
activity was off the chart ( at least speaking from South Carolina standards ).
I usually don't get too excited about the FQP because of the close proximity to
the state and the fact that most of the mobiles will spend 80% or more of their
time on 20 meters which is very difficult to work from here, but I got fired up
about this one and went balls to the wall. Things started out as expected,
everyone on 20 meters and a few on 40. The fixed stations were pretty easy to
work on 20, at least the guys from say Palm Bch cty across the state to
Sarasota cty southward were mostly S9 the whole time while stations north of
the line were substantially weaker and mostly scatter type sigs. Well at the
start, there was only 1 mobile I could actually consider copyable, NX4N, in the
southern counties...the rest were all esp and noise floor level, so I just kept
poking around from band to band and mode to mode working anyone that could hear
me. The mobile ops were great, they actually pulled out my weak signal now and
then on 20 meters. Anyone who went down to 40 was easy, and a few did on and
off throughout the day until sunset and things on 40 went crazy. It was awesome
knocking out the mobiles as they changed counties and picking off a new fixed
station now and then. I will say, there was enough activity on the first day to
keep busy the whole 10 hrs. I just wish more of the mobile checked 40 meters
more often, I listened to them make many unanswered cq's while they were just
too weak to hr my weak signal, but 40 was open all day long, Thanks to NF4A/m
on Sunday, he kept me going on 40 with CW & SSB Q's for new mults, thanks
Charlie. Sunday was alot slower than staurday, I needed only 5 CW mults for the
first ever FQP sweep for me. I made a chart from the FQP web and NO5W pages of
who was going to be in those 5 counties so I can keep up with them. Well things
started good on Sunday morning with several guys going through NAS cty. Only 4
left. LIB & TAY soon went in the log. Only JAC and STL left. Well most of the
guys already went through JAC on Saturday and the ones who were going to it on
Sunday were on 20 by the time they got there and I thought " there goes the
sweep ". Well I was tuning through the mobile window and only hearing the small
pileups of out of state guys calling the mobiles when they changed to new
counties.. I tuned across K4OJ and he was giving out JAC but was esp at the
time. I turned my antenna around for 3-5 minutes until I found a spot that gave
me the best chance to work JAC. I called and called and he just cq'd in my face.
I didn't give up. I called again and again and finally when things were real
quiet, I got a ?. So I sent my call several times and lo and behold, he got
me..JAC in the log!!! That was pretty early in the day and I still needed STL
for the sweep. I looked at my chart and there were only 2 ops going there on
Sunday ( K4M & N4EEB ), but it was their last few counties and I knew I was in
for a wait. I continued to work these guys as they slid south from county to
county. As the day wore on, I saw a troubling trend. The further south they
got, the weaker the signals got until both were just esp when they were a few
counties away. I tried to get K4M's attn but he cud not hr me. I did get N4EEB
when he was in OKE, but soon after both he and K4M were both in STL and I
listened in awe as the pileups never went away even as they both crossed over
to IDR. Oh well, thanks to WB2REM, who was S9+10, getting on and giving out
STL...the SWEEP WAS HAD!! I want to thank all fixed stations ( Both 1x1 and
regulars ) who got on and gave out many qso's and some nice counties also.
Thanks to my other Florida buddies also at K4A ( K1PT and my dad K4MM ), W4Y (
AD4Z ), W4SVO, and more. I also want to thank all mobile stations for their
hard work and dedication to this excellent event especially the following
Mobiles: AD8J, my buddies at K4KG, The Mad Dog, K4M, K4OJ, KN4Y, N4AO, N4EEB,
N5WR, NF4A, NX4N, and W5WMU. All you guys and ops have great ears ( Like Me
)....It was also nice to get the few stations I worked on 15 & 10 meters in the
log, all via back scatter propagation to any direction that sounded gud. 73's
and hope to see everyone in CQ WPX CW at the end of May from NQ4I...W4IX