[3830] ARRL UHF VE3CRU/R Rover LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Aug 9 11:05:56 PDT 2012

                    ARRL UHF Contest

Call: VE3CRU/R
Operator(s): VE3CRU
Station: VE3CRU/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: 7 VE3 grids
Operating Time (hrs):

  222:  11     11
  432:  21     17
  903:   7      7
  1.2:  13     11
  2.3:   5      5
  3.4:   1      1
  5.7:   0      0
  10G:   0      0
  24G:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  58     52  Total Score = 14,768

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This contest was both fun and challenging.  The VE3 long weekend saw diminished
participation, prop was poor at best, and rain hampered the time available in
the southwest grid corners at Hagersville.

The 4 grids were circled twice, giving an opportunity to find me in the evening
if unable to operate in the afternoon.  Not one American qso was logged from
this area.  My mission was to prove that 3456 and 5760 were fully operational.
These tvtr/amp units were mast mounted and weather protected as best as I could,
with a 45 looper on the mast for 3456 and the 24 inch dish on the crossmast for
5760.  Only VE3ZV, VA3ST and VE3EVN were logged from these grids for a total of
31 qso's.

Logged my first ever 3456 qso, with VE3ZV in FN03, great signals both ways. In
the next 3 grids I was heard well but no return.  On 5760, using the 24 inch
dish on the roof, I was heard in all 4 grids but I heard nothing as the path
attenuation is high and I had a tx gain advantage of 16 db.  My mentor said to
never drive with the dish up, but I drove to 3 grids at 15 to 40 kmh with 4
ways flashing, parking off roads for safety and space required to rotate the
beams.  Removed the dish in FN02, 4th grid before moving again.  Drove back to
EN93, different location this time, was warned a heavy storm heading my way so
removed the 3456 and 5760 from the roof.  No sooner got inside and large
raindrops driven by heavy wind came at me on a 30 degree angle from the
southwest.  Safe?  No, 4 out of 5 doors open and all windows down, got soaked
to the skin running around vehicle to close up and get windows up.  Generator
survived the soaking, was warm.

The bands were quiet as lightning appeared so I packed up at 0030z and headed
home, surrounded all the way by lightning strikes and flashes.  Impressive!
Michelin protected me.

In the east grids on Sunday, first qso was American at 1240z in FN14, K2DH with
others following from FN13 and FN12.  Only dx was K2RZ in FM19.  Ran FN14, FN13
then FN04 and circled back to FN14 to pick up qso's missed earlier, then spent
last 30 minutes at FN03.  27 qso's from these grids, 9 being American.  A total
of 34 qso's were with VE3ZV.

Many thanks to the ARRL for sponsoring this contest, and to all who
participated to give out points and grids.  Looking forward to next year.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R