[3830] NAQP SSB K7KU(K0KR) Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Aug 21 14:01:50 EDT 2012

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: K7KU
Operator(s): K0KR
Station: K7KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Wyoming
Operating Time (hrs):

   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  709   135  Total Score = 95,040

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Team: GM Jim Bridger

Comments:

20m proved to be my downfall in this event.  But, you might well insist, "You
made 67% of your Qs on 20m.  Why wasn't that band your salvation rather than
your problem?"

The answer is:  I made those Qs on 20m simply because I had nowhere else to
turn.  Other than the first hour, however, the rate on 20m remained
frustratingly slow for me until it picked up in the 0200Z hour, too late to
make much of a difference.

This running of NAQP SSB, in fact, didn't really get going for me until near
the end.  My best hour was not the first hour, which was good but not terrific.
 No, my best hour, split between 20m and 40m, turned out to the the 0300Z hour.

I could have gambled.  I could have burned all of my off time during the
slow-going on 20m in the afternoon, against the prospect that things would
improve later.  That's a bit risky, of course, given summer conditions on the
low bands.  But even such a gamble wouldn't have been enough help.  It would
not have come close to covering all of the mediocre hours.

So this wasn't a year for a high score from WY.  NAQP, though, is great fun,
come what may.  I learn every bit as much about antennas, propagation, and
tactics from this short event as I do from the "big" contests.  I am, by the
way, actually pretty happy with my 20m multiplier of 54, which is considerably
higher than what I was able to attain on that band on CW two weeks ago.

I thank everyone for the Qs, some of which were tough to complete even with the
simple exchange.  And I am grateful for the patient and valuable corrections to
some of my copying errors.  See you next time!