[3830] KsQP N0JK Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Aug 26 18:21:04 EDT 2012

                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: N0JK
Operator(s): N0JK
Station: N0JK

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Douglas

   80:    1      1
   40:    9      9
   20:           2
----------------------------
Total:   10     12      0  Mults = 2  Total Score = 308

Initially got on Saturday just to make a couple of contacts, then kind of got
hooked by the contest. I ran QRP and loaded up the "rain gutter" on our duplex
in Lawrence. An inefficient antenna. Could not get any runs going as HF condx
poor, and T-storm static heavy on the low bands. I did "search and pounce." The
fun part was chasing the Kansas "1x1" calls and KS counties. Almost got a
"SUNFLOWER" -- thanks to K0F for trying hard Sunday on 80 CW. QRN due to
thunderstorms just too high. Great mobile signals from N0K, N0R and NU0Q on 40
Saturday evening.

Some observations. Consider a portable category for KS stations. Many ops like
myself in in "C C & R" restricted areas. Portable categories would let single
ops, multi-ops (and clubs) set up in rare KS counties and operate "Field Day"
style.

Perhaps just one day for the contest -- Saturday from 10a - 10P ? Activity
seemed down Sunday.

Some of the "1x1" contest calls seemed rare, ie. "A" and "F." Chasing them is
part of the challenge, but hopefully all the "1x1" call letters are "on the
air" on all modes and bands to be fair to contestants. The "KANSAS" and
"SUNFLOWER" are unique awards to this contest. Suggest the "1x1"s operate some
on 75/80 and 40 for the nearby states and in-state ops. KS0KS did a good job
Saturday with their bonus station.

Too bad 6M was not open. Had good Es on 6M Aug 22 - 23. I could have done some
damage there with my portable yagi. :-)  Thanks for an interesting contest.