[3830] KsQP W0O(W0ZQ) Mobile SO CW LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Aug 27 15:49:48 EDT 2012

                    Kansas QSO Party

Call: W0O
Operator(s): W0ZQ
Station: W0O

Class: Mobile SO CW LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

----------------------------
Total:  963     0       0  Mults = 50  Total Score = 144,550

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

The good news this year was that it was a full 30 degrees cooler compared to
last year ... more like the MnQP !   The bad news was that Saturday was a tough
day for me with only so-so band condx's and with heavy rain later in the day.
Running 11 counties netted only 511 Q's for an average of 46.4 Q/Cty.  While in
LYO I heard rolling thunder and saw a big black cloud to my SW.  I knew that
there was no severe wx forecasted, but they were talking heavy rains and I
typically operate right at the county lines ala dirt roads and I have a lot of
respect for KS mud, so I decide to try to stay ahead of the cloud as I headed
for my overnight in Topeka.  I did manage to operate from WAB before the cloud
caught me, but WAB only produced 35 Q's and lots of rain static.  Sunday was a
better day with decreasing rain showers & mist and better band conditions.
While sitting at JAC/JEF/ATC on Sunday morning John, N6MU, asked me if I had
plans to make LEA .... at that time I had not.  However, a quick read of the
map and my master plan for the day showed that if I skipped 40m operations mid
day from a few cty's that I could carve out some time to make LEA at the very
end, so I said "sure".  As I said, Sunday was better with 464 Q's in just six
hours over 7 counties, for an average rate of 66.3 Q/Cty, or an nearly 20 Q's
better than Saturday, and that includes not having run 40m from two of the
seven ctys on Sunday.  Best numbers also occurred late Sunday afternoon with 72
20m Q's from DON and 61 20m Q's from LEA .... a lot of fun from the front seat
of a 2004 Subaru Forester.  So in the end, despite having a poor Saturday,
Sunday came through and that allowed me to beat my score from last year, so I'm
good with that.  Many thanks to the KS QSO Party sponsors and I hope that I did
a good job representing the O's  73, Jon