[3830] ARRL 160 K3ZM Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 2 09:29:56 EST 2012

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K3ZM
Operator(s): K3ZM
Station: K3ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Virginia

Total:  QSOs = 1417  Sections = 80  Countries = 53  Total Score = 477,535

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

"A Visit from St. Nick," by K3ZM

'Twas the start of the contest when all through the land,
     The big guns were hurriedly filling Topband.
Each claimed his own spot like a powerful Lord,
     In advance of the weaker and scurrying horde.
They tried to distinguish themselves from the crowd,
     Using signals that were often incredibly loud.
A few had arrays that were truly amazing,
     A quarter wave tall, and with switchable phasing.
A fortunate number could listen while steering,
     Using clever arrays from DX Engineering.
Their Beverages all had been carefully mended,
     Their CT files loaded, no task unattended.
A moment from now, they'd be busily running,
     With QSO rates that were high if not stunning,
Sending reports, logging proper rejoinders,
     While hoping to garner a lot of five-pointers.
>From San Joaquin Valley to Maryland-D.C.,
     They waited for 2200 UTC.

The Low-Power stations were seasoned and steady,
     Their verticals tuned, their Vibro-keys ready.
This group took advantage of many fine toys,
     To copy weak signals from under the noise.
Their tactics a mixture of running and pouncing,
     They hoped the big guns didn't give them a trouncing.
But well-informed contesters all knew the story:
    The best ops were lurking in this category.
They showed their great skill and consummate finesse,
     In contrast to their colleagues' high-powered largess.
While showing respectably high rates per hour,
     They'd prove that you don't have to run such high power.

The Pee Whistles got ready to follow the spots,
     While modestly working from their city lots.
Their dipoles were hung from their chimneys with care,
     Which sent most of their RF straight up in the air.
But even if located down in a hole,
     They still played a vitally important role.
While glorious scores were achieved by the rest,
     It was these hams who honestly made the contest.
They responded to calls from the rest of the group,
     While listening intently on their magnetic loop.

 For my part I savored a last moment's rest,
     And readied myself to begin the contest.
But out by the tower there began such a clatter
     I sprang from my rig to see what was the matter.
The moonlight was shimmering off of the Bay,
     And casting a glow on a lovely gold sleigh.
Its driver was clothed all in red and so quick,
     I knew in an instant it must be St. Nick.
His reindeer exhibited the greatest of power,
     As they guided the sleigh by my hundred foot tower.
The next sound I heard was a shuffling hoof,
     As the reindeer alighted on top of my roof.
Then, carrying a pack that was heavy and round,
     Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.

He was dressed all in fur, with an Icom in hand,
     And his smile was as wide as the ten-meter band.
His jacket was ruffled, his cap all akilter,
     But his gaze was as sharp as a new crystal filter.
He soon made it clear he was not here to shirk,
     Proceeding directly to start on his work.
He finished his chores in the blink of an eye,
     For he moved just as fast as K4BAI.
He then turned to me as his work neared an end.
     Perhaps there's a gift from my jolly, round friend?
With a gleam in his eye and a big hearty smile,
     He gave me the latest new headset from Heil.
And reaching inside of his red velvet bag,
     He pulled out a large box so heavy, he sagged.
Then what to my wondering eyes should appear
     But a present so splendid and terribly dear.
The 9500 from Alpha inside,
     Brought tears to my eyes that I cared not to hide.
I thanked my fine guest as he chuckled and said,
     "You'll need lots of help beating K1LZ."

I treasured his kindness and generous heart,
     As he gathered his things and prepared to depart.
Up the chimney he went, above smoldering ashes
     Amidst a bold flurry of loud dots and dashes.
He mounted his sleigh in the cold winter rain
     Then looked at his coursers and called them by name.
"Now DG, now PO and WB9Z,
     On GH, on 1K and Ambassador Fred.
Now GD and EJ and N2WN,
     On ZM and ZZ and 3BGN.
Go NA and 9DX and W8JI
     Yo PN and LT and K9AY.
To the top of the band,
     Line up wall to wall!
Now call CQ, search and pounce,
     5-9 to all!"
The crack of his whip when he started his sleigh
     Was almost as forceful as DR1A.
As he smiled at his reindeer and headed out west,
     He looked back and shouted, "Good luck in the test!"

I got some great help just before CQ WW from the XYL, who trammed up the new
shorty-forty with me on the 130 foot tower.  What a great team we make.  Thanks
also to Don, N4DJ, who helped me debug my outer listening array shortly before
this contest.  It proved to be very important, as I needed to have the ability
to null out both some S-3 line noise several miles to the Northwest and a
drift-net buoy to the Southeast that decided it liked my CQ frequency on
Saturday night.  This particular buoy had a signal that was S-7, which was
about six S units above the ambient noise level at the time.  This second
listening array is exactly one-half wavelength to the southeast of the first.
Thus, both noise sources were collinear with both listening arrays.  Eight ball
in the corner pocket!  I was able to switch between in-phase and 180 degrees out
of phase to change between nulling the noise versus the buoy every several
minutes as the drift net buoy returned to my frequency.  This enabled me to
copy a few dozen West Coast stations on Saturday night that I might not have
gotten otherwise.  It looks like I am going line-noise hunting again.

Topband operators were no doubt excited on Thursday evening, as the band came
alive and offered the prospect of some DX over the weekend.  Indeed, signals
were better than they have been, and it was quiet at this location all weekend
with no troublesome QRN.  But the numbers just were not there for me.  At
bedtime Saturday morning, I had 130 EU's in the log and 981 contacts.  This was
more than last year, which had poor conditions on Friday evening.  But Saturday
evening did not provide the gusto I needed.  The sunset opening to EU was nice,
but the DX stopped calling by about 2245Z.  Things picked up as I had a
productive CQ frequency on Saturday night just at the sunrise of Western EU.
Here is how my EU numbers compare for the last several years:

2012   244
2011   203
2010   366
2009   433

I was very excited to be called by nephew Patrick, KK6ZM on Saturday night.
Our first contest QSO with his new call.  It was also neat to work brother
George in Florida with his attic wire.  Please note that the drift net buoy was
louder.  Glad to work my good friend Jim, AD4J, who helped me construct my 4G
transmit array two years ago.

DX highlights were A65BP on Friday evening, who could have been in the room
with me.  Also getting Dave at KH2 on Saturday morning and VK6HD.  No JA's for
me, but did get KH6 and KL7 (thanks, Rich).  I missed KP4 and KV4.  Never heard
Herb and Pedro does not love us.

I think the keen competition may be among the VE's this year, who seemed busy.
For my part, I am Oh-for-seven in the ARRL 160, but I sure keep trying!

A very strange thing happened just after the end of the contest.  My
smart-phone squawked to signal an incoming text.  I had shivers down my spine
as I read the message:

"So, how did the new Alpha work out for you?   LZ1JY/JW0"

73,

Peter  K3ZM