[3830] ARRL 160 M5O(G3LET) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 2 16:07:22 EST 2012

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: M5O
Operator(s): G3LET
Station: G3LET

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Pease Pottage, UK

Total:  QSOs = 348  Sections = 58  Countries = 0  Total Score = 40,368

Kit: Orion II with KPA500 400w
Antenna: 250 ft wire sloping down to the shack from 150 ft sequoia, tuned by
Racal MA144 atu.  Keyer: ETM9C.  All hand keyed and logged.

Things were a lot different from 3 years ago when I last entered, with many
calls resolved only a letter at a time due to extremely deep and rapid QSB.
Only east coast and midwest available on the first night - even VY2ZM wasn't
his usual outstanding signal and there was no dawn lift on Saturday morning. So
there was a lot of temptation to stay in the nice warm house when it was time
brave the freezing shack for the second session.

However from 0100 things started to liven up considerably, with a surprise call
from N7UA at his sunset.   A lot of new sections appeared in the last couple of
hours to keep the interest up.  I get the impression there are some new
sections available now, so it's hard to compare past results, but the QSO total
is down by a hundred from 2008 and 9, with a similar section total.  This is one
event where the mults tend to come to you and most of my time was spent running.
 Just as well for a hand logger with no great love of dupe sheets!

There didn't appear to be much serious activity here in europe, with just the
mega-stations of TM6P, OL7M and OM2VL to keep me company for much of the time.
A pity, because 160m can be full of surprises. AA0RS was a huge signal from
Colorado for several hours, surpassing any from the E coast.  There was a good
but short-lived dawn opening to the west coast, although I probably didn't make
as much of it as I should, ending with just one 6 and four 7 sections.

These winter 160m events are such good value, with no time out needed from the
usual family weekend.  Thanks to all who called in!

73, Peter G3LET