[3830] ARRL 160 W1WBB M/S LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Dec 3 00:37:12 EST 2012

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W1WBB
Operator(s): W1WBB (+ SPOTTING NETWORK)
Station: W1WBB

Class: M/S LP
QTH: RI

Total:  QSOs = 430  Sections = 66  Countries = 7  Total Score = 64,313

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

While the band was very quiet, especially Friday night, the longer haul stuff
just wasn't there for me -- weak sigs and less activity from DX.

Ran with the spotting network so classified as M/S LP.  With the expected lack
of non-US/VE activity here near solar maxima I figured I'd maximize my ability
to hear the domestic mults and have the most fun.  Only worked 7 five-point
QSOs this year and had just 7 DX mults (back in 2011: 10 5-pt Q's/ 8 DX mults;
2010: 23 5-pt Q's/ 19 DX mults; 2009: 22 5-pt Q's/ 19 DX mults).

Most DX Q's were a struggle...spent little time calling them.  I *did* observe
the DX window per the rules and avoided any US/VE CQers there...no QSO and
they'll move.  We do want to encourage the few DX stns that do show up in the
contest!

Worked 13 more SECs (66 total) than last year with similar op time so spotting
network certainly helped (2011 - 53 SECs; 2010 - 69; 2009 - 66).  Missed all
but one CA section (good ears N6KI before my Sun. S/R) but heard most...just no
joy with my 100 watts.  Also missed/never heard MB, BC, NT, PR, AK, PAC and WY
-- heard but no QSO w/ ND and WWA.  New SECs WCF, SDG and NV worked Sunday AM
within 50 mins of my S/R, and almost back-to-back-to-back!

With little DX workable off each coast for the LP guys, best scores Low Power
may be from the central USA this year.

Thanks for the Q's...the 'Sweepstakes' of TopBand was still good fun.

Stn equipt: Icom 737 @ 100W; low 3/8 wv Inv. L on TX/RX with compromise radial
field; N1MM logger.

73, Bill  W1WBB