[3830] ARRL 160 VE3MGY M/S LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Dec 4 06:37:19 EST 2012

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VE3MGY
Operator(s): VE3MGY
Station: VE3MGY

Class: M/S LP
QTH: ONS

Total:  QSOs = 934  Sections = 77  Countries = 13  Total Score = 171,720

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Definitely one of the better weekends for 160M contesting this year. With
sustained low noise levels here ( -121 dbm to -115 dbm all weekend on the
vertical ) and a lack of NA QRN I was able to work many stations just at or
below the noise level on the vertical w/o utilizing the beverages or loop. This
new layer yielded alot of west coast stations which started calling in both
nights just after their SS around 0100z. Only had 1 hour of CQing w/o to many
QSO's all weekend and that happened at 0800z Sunday morning - the usual zero
dark thirty lull.

Saturday afternoon I was working stations out to 2,000 km to the West and South
West before sunset here so I knew Saturday night should also be good - which it
was.

I used packet spots for just 20 QSO's over the weekend - mostly Saturday night
for some new mults - but none the less it put me in the unlimited category.
Some guys called me three times over the weekend(??) and they were not weak DX
but really loud ( and relatively local ) stations so I'm not sure what the
problem was - maybe they had very high noise levels or no duping software.

As usual there those who ( always the same stations ) that went QRV within
100hz ( or less in some cases ) of me trying to take over my QRG - which they
didn't - but it slowed my rate and caused confusion for all... Eventually they
left, as they always do...

I found EU to be lower in signal strength than usual this weekend but SA was
booming with CE1/K7CA a real 579 here for hours at the time both nights and
XE2S a 559 with PJ2T a decent 579 and HK1MW 579 as well. The west coast was
about 20db louder than I usually hear them and their sigs were sustained at
that level all weekend. Pac was much lower than I usually hear them but was
able to work KH6LC none the less Sunday morning.

TX: 85' Inverted L with 120 1/4 wave radials
Rx: Three 500' beverages, RX loop, low dipole
Rig: IC-7600 running 100 watts

Thanks for all the QSO's.

73,
Brian