[3830] ARRL 10 K8LV(@K8LX) SO CW HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Dec 11 01:11:10 EST 2012

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K8LV
Operator(s): K8LV
Station: K8LX

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: MI

   CW:  640    97
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  640    97  Total Score = 248,320

This was my second serious effort using the new K8LV QOMNI antenna, an
Omnidirectional fixed phased array. For this contest I was able to coax Steve
K8LX to mount it up on one of his unpopulated towers, at 65', hovering in the
shadow of 40m. 3LY @200'. We ran from his station using an amp at legal limit
to see how well we could do in the 'big leagues' (previous efforts were all
LP). With one of the highest scores in the midwest, I'd say we did pretty
well!

It was a delight to be getting calls from all directions at many times during
the contest, and not having to fool with antennas at all. All we did was
operate the radio and log the QSO's. Conditions were terrible as everyone has
noted, and I found it a little embarrassing to sometimes ask for repeats from
stations we know are A-one. But we were rarely asked for repeats from stations
that sounded really weak to us. Missed a few W/XE mults, but final count was
still gratifying considering serious lack of cooperation from all of those ions
up there (or lack thereof?).

Ant:  QOMNI @65'
Rig:  FT1000+HB amp @1.5kW
Software: N1MM