[3830] 9A CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB/20 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 16 12:54:01 EST 2012

                    Croatian CW Contest

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SOSB/20 LP
QTH: Mazotos

Total:  483    51  Total Score = 71,500

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

My score is an approximation,I must have made an error in setting up the logge,
so the above is a manual gesstimate.

20 mtrs was in pretty poor shape, I did s/b 20m last year and didn't need to
work nearly so hard as I did this time. DXCC's were pretty thin on the ground.
Also this contest I did my first ever assisted using a local RBN (about 100km
distant0, it certainly helped save my  time on S&P in finding stns not wkd
before but it did not throw up any DX, perhaps widening the filter to include
other beacons would help there.  Not being 'Au fait' with the system I thought
I would be overwhelmed with too much information.  What did surprise me was the
number of spots which just newly appeared but  the ops were not there - why call
'Test' then just vamoose? I shall try it again in the next contest I do where
'Assistance' is the only option. The verdict from this died in the wool
unassisted op "It was interesting but I will stick with S&P."

Band began to close up at 5.00pm local time and was gone within 1 hour and
didn't wake up until sunrise, 06.30 local,. I am sure SS minima can be no
worse. So what is the secret over at N4PN's place? I got the biggest surprise
call from Paul around 11.00am local time which must have made his local time
around 4.00am - never had a NA call so early on the higher bands.

Propagation was limited to north of the equator, qso breakdown was EU 373, Asia
68, NA 19 + 2x EA8, nothing from central or South America. As usual a few clicky
and ropey sigs and some poor operating. DX being scarce the pileups were unruly.
2 cases in particular MD0CCE & XV9NPS. The mob wouldn't stop the continuos
calling, it was a real mess. Bob (CCE)did the wise thing and qsy'd the XV9 just
continued calling CQ to aggravate the problem, never once could I read  the the
call he was going back to, nor could they - what a mess, 2 good would be mlt's
wasted to many.

73  Brian 5B4AIZ.