[3830] TBDC DK6XZ(E77XZ) Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 30 20:09:27 EST 2012

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: DK6XZ
Operator(s): E77XZ
Station: DL0MB

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Rastatt, SG Stern

Total:  QSOs = 188  Total Score = 1,182

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Who once operated in Stew have falled in love with it. I chosed spontaneously my
challenge to be in working with 5 Watts output power only. People, belive me,
you must try it!! You will be generously (self)rewarded for every single QSO
you make with as QRP(!). Finally, it is all what we are looking for, a "feeling
good" about what we are doing. Topband otherwise may appear frustrating if you
are not well equipped with serious RX/TX antennas.

At the beginning, I did not know which expectations and figured targets may be
set and/or if it is going to work at all - while letting it stay a fun. Having
only a FT920 onboard ( PWR knob twisted full to the left ) and a couple of
switched resonant guy ropes on the 33m-tower was not promissing any demanding
entry. At the end, I was surprised what everything was possible to pull out of
it if running QRP. Heavy man-made-noise from the nearby industry was well
managed inter alia by an only 90 m long Beverage. Generally the Yeasu RIG have
convinced me with the effective RX & DSP-filter ( big knobs at the down right
side ) too. One would FT920 actually not count to a serious contesting TRX. I
dare to desagree. A contester will quickly find it very useful and a good
performing transceiver, simple and handy to use.

To be mostly solidely heard in Baltic & Scandinavia, UK & UA/UR was my greatest
satisfaction. All of that are QSOs across 1200-2600 km distance. You made my day
guys! ODX was some time TF4M, than UA1OMS (2766 km). I lived ( and loved ) it as
any 2m VHF contest. It was nice experiencing your HF operation visually on the
grid map. UA9MA, W1UE, K3ZM, K1LZ, were very strong and present most of the
time with good signal levels ( up to S9+ ), but countless Eastcoast and Midwest
stations were heared well too. Calling those previous again and again at times
without pile-ups on their freqs was a clear sign that my only chance to
eventually work a DX would be at the sunrise. Despite the expected, the
conditions seemed then to drop. DX: it was not to be. At the other hand, many
EUs answerded my CQ, even a few UA/URs with QRB ~2500 km. A great feeling. I
feel like only two dozen of EU stations I was able to hear somewhere on the
band, while going through it, were not logged. Just a few of them were not able
to copy me, once I succeded to find them calling CQ.

All in all, a nice experience and a pleasent weekend. Many thanks to all of you
for sharing your time with us on the Topband! Special thanks to QRP entrants
from Europe, to get someone to compare with. Congratulations to the top
performances showing up in the preliminary scoreboards of 3830!

Best wishes for the coming year
& see you in the contests!

73 Suad, DK6XZ

Some details:

Contest         : Stew Perry Topband Distance Challenge
Callsign        : DK6XZ
Category        : Single Operator (SO)
Band(s)         : Single band (SB) 160
Class           : QRP