[3830] TBDC WO1N Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 30 23:14:08 EST 2012

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EMA

Total:  QSOs = 215  Total Score = 1,121

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Rig : FT1000D, N1MM
Antennas : INV-L @ 60', 3000' Temporary radials

Soapbox :

 2005 was the last time I made any Q's in this contest. Planned a more intense
effort than usual; ultimately achieved. Finished deploying the rotatable
shielded loop during the day but it was only when I connected it up to my aging
FT1K that I learned the RX ant port has an issue. That took some
of my initial motivation and smashed it on the floor.

 Still, though, I let myself get sucked in and finally kept the butt
in-the-chair for a good 4 hour stint. Listening on the vertical with all the
attenuation I can crank in but still hear signals. Tried running with AGC off
and riding the RF gain only to result in the proverbial bleeding eardrum
when a LOUD 8-lander stopped by. Ouch!

N1MM says 5.5 hrs total.Highlight was working CE1/K7CA for a new band country.
Best hour was a 70. Pulled the plug at 0900Z, set the alarm for local sunrise
+/-15min and did a few more Q's.

Nice to be back on Top Band,

Ken
WO1N