[3830] NA Sprint CW K3TN(@N3OC) HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Feb 4 21:11:34 PST 2012

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: N3OC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MD

   80:  103     1.5
   40:  108     1.5
   20:   82       1
---------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: Ad Hoc Contest Group

Comments:

Well, that sure was fun. The good news is I operated from N3OC, a FB two tower
station with 2 beam stacks on both 20 and 40 and a wire beam on 80, and a nice
Alpha amp. It has been a long time since I used more than 500w and a wire.

The bad news is Brian runs WriteLog, which I've never used. It doesn't have the
ability to do different run/S&P exchange order for the Sprint, so I had to use
separate key sequences. I simulated that in N1MM in the practices session 30
minutes, but I was still pretty wambly at during the early going on 20. I was
using Brian's FT-1000MP as well, vs. my usual K3 - that caused a bit of fumble
fingering early on, too.

20 was in great shape -  fun to have 9V1YC call in for a very long 1 pointer.
The band was open both short and long. I had planned on leaving at 0100 and I
did, but I probably should have stayed longer. It started to snow right before
the contest but 40 and 80 were noise free. 40 was long as expected, with the
deedle deedles in the middle and the FOC test on the low side. 80 was mediocre,
nothing was really booming in.

The last 20 minutes on 80 really slowed down so I wasted time looking at 20
(dead air) and 40m (nothing but SO2Rs I'd already worked) so slogged it out
back on 80 and could quite get to the magical 300 number. But still a fast, fun
four hours. Thanks to Brian for the use of his FB station.