[3830] NA Sprint CW N6TR HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 6 09:31:07 PST 2012

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: N6TR
Operator(s): N6TR
Station: N6TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OR

---------------------

Team: Oregon Paddlers

Comments:

Nice to finally have a competitive multiplier total.  Focusing more on the
second radio seems to have an impact since more CQs are made on mostly empty
bands to attract those rare ones.  Did miss WV however which I understand was
on 40 near the end.  Nice to work VE9AA, but only got VE3 and VE7 other than
that.  Got KP2 and KP4.  Worked 9V1YC - but that isn't a mult.

Spent the first 35 minutes of the contest with the wrong antenna!  Argh.  Had
all of my power going to the tribander pointed at KL7.  I got bloodied up a lot
during that period - although the rate was still decent.  Maybe that's what it
feels like to use low power.  Band sounded much better when switching back to
the monobander pointing east.

Other than that - everything worked well.  All three bands sounded good from
here and operator fading was probably the biggest reason I didn't make 100 QSOs
on 80 meters.

Rigs - 2X K3 with a pair of 3-500Zs for each

Antennas - Tribander, 5 element 20, 3 element 40 and 80 meter 4 square with
some beverages used on 80/40.

Appears I "only" made 97 band changes - so perhaps I can still improve on my
2nd radio use.  Didn't use it in the first hour.  In fact - part of me wants to
just do sprints with one radio as it is more like how the founding fathers
wanted it to be operated.