[3830] CQ160 CW N3UM Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Feb 8 14:04:48 PST 2012

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N3UM
Operator(s): N3UM
Station: N3UM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MD

Total:  QSOs = 680  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 23  Total Score = 133,441

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My lowest claimed score in the last 7 years of doing
CQ WW 160 CW from this QTH with the same antenna:
133.4 K this year vs my previous low of 154.3 K in 2007, and
between 174.6 K and 237.5 K in the other 5 years.  Equipment,
operator, and hours in the chair were the about same in all years.
The low score this year was due entirely to poor propagation
to EU the first night. I made 8 DX QSOs the first night, only
ONE in EU, and 7 DX mults.  The second night was much better to
EU, more typical: 26 EU QSOs and 15 EU mults, but there was
simply no way to make up for that very poor first night.  U.S.
results were fine both nights: after the first night I was
short only 6 of the contiguous states (LA and the Pacific
Northwest), and found 4 of those the second night, missing
only WY and ID.  In the last 7 years I've missed between 1
and 3 of the contiguous states, so missing 2 was average
for me.  Also within the average range were total W/K QSOs,
VE QSOs and provinces, and total QSOs.  But, with 15 fewer
EU countries and 3 fewer other DX mults and 80 to 250 fewer
QSO points  than in any of the past 7 years, the low score
this year was inevitable.