[3830] RTTY WPX N7AT(K8IA) SOSB15 QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 12 15:45:12 PST 2012

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: N7AT
Operator(s): K8IA
Station: N7AT

Class: SOSB15 QRP
QTH: AZ

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I have no good reason why I tried this contest, QRP.

Let's see..5w out of the radio to 150' of RG/213U is about 3.7w into the
antennae. Humm. I have a flashlight that is more power than that.

Here were my before contest cheerleaders comments, from various Arizona
Outlaws;
"Good grief"
"Drink a lot!"
"You are a certified nutcase."
"Uhh...Bob...let's do the math....5 watts puts you  24+ dB behind the similarly
equipped 1500w folks and even 13 dB behind the 100w group. Why do you want to do
that to yourself?"

I dunno.

And even my wonderfully supportive xyl, contester Sandy N7RQ, weighed in with,
"Are you serious?"

Great support group, eh?

Well I gave it a shot. I didn't yell that much, I didn't kick the dogs or drown
the bird or make life much more miserable for N7RQ than I normally do. In places
I actually had fun. Sometimes 5w surprised me. Most of the time it was
predictable, 5w.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to do a full time deal, as some family stuff got in
the way both nights and a good part of Sunday too.

Was it a re-learning experience? You betcha.

Would I do it again? Ask me later in the week. ;-)

See you all in ARRL DX CW. We'll be multi-two here with the usual cast of cw
culprits (KC7V, KS5A, K1YR, NA2U, K7JQ, N7RQ and yours truly). GL TO ALL!

73, Bob K8IA
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club