[3830] RTTY WPX VE4EAR SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 13 04:00:09 PST 2012

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:

OK conditions Sunday, not as good Saturday. Very poor time management from me as
 took a lot of 20 minute breaks to tend to family matters. On time therefore is
much higher than it should have been.

80m was a real struggle both nights with local QRN being a big limiting factor.
Not a lot of DX heard.

40m was OK stateside Friday night and only opened to EU just before their
sunrise. Saturday was much better as EU was worked earlier on and much less
flutter. The highlight of the contest was being called by A65BP Saturday
evening with a good strong signal over the pole.

20m produced a weak opening to EU Saturday morning and much stronger Sunday. It
was obvious that by the time 20 opened here just at sunrise, that EU was mostly
on 15m. Weak 20m conditions Saturday was evident by the very weak opening to
Japan. This was contrasted by Sunday when signals were much stronger.

15m was the money band this year. Weak to Eu Saturday, better Sunday. Same
pattern for Asia.

10m barely opened Saturday for north - South to central and south America.
Sunday it opened weakly to EU and Japan briefly.

A few annoyances such as N1MM locking in transmit 3 times. over the weekend.
Had to close the program and restart. This has never happened before.

When someone asks for a repeat of an exchange, please don;t send the
information just once. It doesn't matter if your a big canon, or a small pea
shooter, it means means the rx'ing station missed  it the first time because
you are weak, QRN or QRM. Send the number 3 or 4 times. You will complete the
QSO much quicker than hearing NR? several times.

When S&Ping, why do so many calling stations insist on using the format "Mycall
de theircall, theircall, theircall". I would suggest dropping the first mycall.
We don't do it in SSB or CW contests, why in RTTY? Just my little gripe.

Sure hope conditions return to the stelar conditions of last fall for the big
contest month of March.

Ed