[3830] RTTY WPX K1SFA(@K1TTT) M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 13 07:24:14 PST 2012

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: K1SFA
Operator(s): K1SFA, K1MK
Station: K1TTT

Class: M/S HP
QTH: WMA

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Oh my goodness! For the past three years, K1SFA has operated WPX RTTY as SOABHP,
but for 2012, I decided to try M/S with K1MK. I set out with two goals: To beat
my personal best SOABHP score (4,749,976 set in 2010), and to beat WW4LL's 2010
M/S score of 4.941,016. I topped both those scores on Sunday morning, with about
another 10 hours left in the contest.

Now what? I looked at the US record -- 5,581,185 -- set in 2010 by K1LZ. I
thought I could get that. And I did. Then I looked at the North America record
-- 5,936,870 -- set by TI5N in 2003. And with about another 6 hours to go, I
surpassed that. If I ever want to beat the MS World record (14,208,960 set by
EE8E in 2010), I'll have to go to a three-point country, and that's not
happening anytime soon.

When I have opped as SOABHP, this contest has left me for dead for a few days
after. That's why I decided to try M/S. I think this was one of the smartest
decisions I have made, contest-wise. I was more focused, more awake, more "on
my game" than ever before -- and I had so much fun!

Two highlights stand out for me, both on Sunday morning. When calling 4U1WRC on
20, there was, of course, a giant pile-up. How exhilarating it was to hear AND
see "K1SFA ONLY, K1SFA ONLY." Then, a little bit later, about 12 mults in a row
calling ME! I guess in this contest, K1 really IS rare! If you have never seen a
YL chortle with glee, well, you are indeed missing something (and for those of
you watching on the station web cams, I hope it was as good for you as it was
for me)!

Thanks to all who answered my CQ and also to those who came back to me when I
called them. The biggest thanks of course, goes to Dave, K1TTT. Without his
kindness, experience, teaching and generosity, I could never do this. To think,
I almost gave up on RTTY contesting (and contesting in general) after the 2011
WPX RTTY. Not any more -- this is FUN!!!

88 de K1SFA