[3830] ARRLDX CW K6CTA SOSB/15 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 19 14:12:13 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K6CTA
Operator(s): K6CTA
Station: K6CTA

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: CA

Total:  251    86  Total Score = 64,758

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I decided to spend a few hours as a 15M single band entry. For whatever reason,
my location (about 750' above SF Bay on a ridge) and antenna (8 ele) seem to be
optimized on 15; I'm always amazed at how well the station plays on that band. I
started out around 1600Z Saturday. One CQ produced a huge EU pileup...that was
fun! But, so many of the signals were just about the same strength that it
became tough to pick out calls! You certainly can tell when you get spotted on
an overseas cluster...

There didn't seem to be as much activity from the Pacific Ocean areas or the
east coast of Asia (outside of the JA's). I came back later in the afternoon to
look for mults, and found a few, but not many. Africa seemed a little sparse,
too (at least here on 15). Once the run died down, I wound up doing S&P and
seeing how quick I could break the pileups. This year (at least to me in my
limited time) there seemed to be fewer odd cut numbers and sending
oddities.....I think I asked for only one or two fills. Maybe I was just paying
better attention!

Thanks for the Q's!
73,
Ed - K6CTA