[3830] ARRLDX CW VE9AA SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 19 16:12:30 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 12:40

Total:  515   236  Total Score = 363,912

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Initially, I was going to get on and do 40m SB HP, but when the weekend
presented just way too many things going on, I opted to do something weird and
do 100% S&P...OUCH it's rough not being able to CQ or run stations ! (though I
wouldn't have had the signal strength until Sunday nite to do so anyways)

Condx Friday night and into Sat night were TERRIBLE this far north, but I did
hear some N. EU's and JA's right up til local midnight on 20, 15 and even
10--wild !  Most were 100% pure AU (that's no tone/note at all for you non-6m
types)

This was strictly an hour here, and 20 minutes there, and no all nighters (and
no runing stations) I would make a coffee and sit down for a spell, then go do
whatever for an hour, then come back, switch bands, take one swipe up the band;
rinse/repeat.

Worked an E21 station (E21EIC).  Must be my first Thailand in literally decades
and he stuck with me for 6 or 7 overs to make sure he had my call correct.
Thank-YOU sir. What a FB op ! ! I was excited about that one and also nabbing
FW0NAR on 10m when 10m was in the tubes....nice ears !

It felt funny not calling any of these 60/9 USA stns who are normally my bread
and butter in most contests.  I guess I haven't done an ARRL-DX CW in a long
while.  Usually have other things on the go in Feb.  This was no different, but
managed 12:40hrs BIC time off and on.

Worked a few of the PJ's on all bands.  They were very loud and manned by a
bunch of nice fists.  Good on ya guys.

73 de Mike VE9AA
750w, all wire ground planes, barely off the ground, IC-746 fully filtered and
N1MM.