[3830] ARRLDX CW W9WI SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 19 16:27:21 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W9WI
Operator(s): W9WI
Station: W9WI

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): many

  160:    4     4
Total:  897   288  Total Score = 775,008

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Gotta love 15 meters!  10 could have been better but this is still nearly 3
times as many QSOs as I made on 10 last year.  80 meter totals are down, not
that 80 is a major part of the contest for a QRP entry.  I'll blame it on the
QRN, which was pretty bad Friday & Saturday nights.  40m mult total is down
quite a bit too, which I find surprising.

The Golden Ears awards this year go to TM6M and CS2C, who were able to hear my
QRP signals on the Continent on 80 meters.

In general it always amazes me just how well people copy QRP.  I'll hear a QRO
station coming in S2 over the pole on 20 meters, and he gets everything on the
first try.  Pretty amazing.  We may complain about lids on the bands but most
ops are pretty darned good.

Sometimes, one gets the impression us childless single guys don't get
distracted during the contest.  One would be wrong.  This year, there were:

- A couple of kids trying to raise money for their school.  (with very QRO
knocks on the door!)
- An emergency at work.  (radar's working but the data circuit from the remote
site isn't...)
- Lonely cat.  I swear it wasn't me calling out of turn in that pileup, but Ms.
Cat is a bit of a DX Lid...  Hey, stop sitting on the Enter key!

QSOs up 26% from last year.  Mults up 7%.  Final score up 36%.  I'd say fun was
had!