[3830] ARRLDX CW KD9MS SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 19 21:50:46 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KD9MS
Operator(s): KD9MS
Station: KD9MS

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Karnak, IL

Total:  355   215  Total Score = 228,975

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

The bands were fairly good Friday night, I made some good contacts then. I only
worked it part time because I had to work Saturday night and when I got home,
every signal on 40 and many on 80 were wierd like auroral flutter. I didn't
know what was going on until I got an email from Spaceweather.com about the
sudden auroras showing up all over the place. Everything else during the
contest was good. My FT990 worked great on 40m using my altered DX Engineering
43' antenna, I turned it into a 160 inverted U and gained a bonus antenna for
40 when I did it. It worked great on 40 and even though I really wanted to keep
that antenna on the FT2000D for the extra 50 watts on 160, the 990 did a good
job there too. I hadn't planned on being on as long as I was, but it was good
fun. I learned a lot about my antennas and what needs to be done next. I need
bandpass filtering for sure! Working on that now. Lots of good operators worked
during the contest, a lot better at CW than I am! Thanks for the patience guys.
Craig KD9MS