[3830] ARRLDX CW ES1WST SOSB/10 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 20 02:16:28 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: ES1WST
Operator(s): ES1WST
Station: ES1WST

Class: SOSB/10 LP
QTH: Tallinn

   10:  25     13
-------------------
Total:  25     13  Total Score = 975

I only have a 10m yagi right now, but I just made the big step into the world of
QRO (bought 100W rig to replace my FT-817) so I wanted to try it out. I listened
to the 10m band (short path AND long path) anytime I thought there could be a
potential opening to NA, but here in Estonia I only got about 1 1/2 hours on
Saturday with no opening on Sunday, although I see that ES5RR managed to work
the west coast on 10m in the middle of the first night.

There were some strong signals at times on Saturday and a couple of stations
even answered my CQ. An extra 13 dB makes a huge difference!

Strangely, I never heard any W1 or VE, but I still managed 13 states including
as far west as Iowa and Georgia. Heard K5GO in AR but the band died before I
could get through.

Hopefully ARRL DX SSB will treat us better. I think it was a geomagnetic storm
late on Saturday that wiped things out.