[3830] ARRLDX CW N2WKS(@K2TTT) SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 20 07:21:52 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N2WKS
Operator(s): N2WKS
Station: K2TTT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: New Jersey

Total: 1425   327  Total Score = 1,396,944

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Started operating at 00:44 UTC Sunday.

Conditions on 40 seemed down from CQWW but 80 and 160 were pretty good.  I had
a nice opening on 20 during EU sunrise but from 09-11 UTC I couldn't find much
new to work anywhere.  It was really cool having JA3YBK answer my CQ on 80
meters...never worked JA on 80 except in this contest and CQWW CW in November.

Once 20 meters opened at 11z I had a great run with 293 Qs at 125/hr

I received a phone call from my wife saying she needed me to come home and help
with the kids because she had to take one to the doctor (he is ok).  I decided
to finish out the morning and try to get a ride home at about noon (she was
supposed to pick me up after the contest).

Watching the spots I saw 15 was open and it was time to move.  15 meters was on
fire and I found a great run freq (21.005) and had a run from 13:42-16:28z with
405qs at 146.5/hr

At that point I needed a bio break and decided to look for some mults and see
how 10 was doing.  Could not find much on 10 meters and I saw a bunch of spots
from the local big SO guys running on 20 so I moved there to finish out the
contest with another run of 165q at 131/hr.  At 18:48z I got a phone call from
my ride that it was time to go so I finished logging ER3MM and sent QRT to the
pileup that was still calling me on 20 and shut down.  Low mult total which
hurt my score since I was planning to spend the last five hours chasing mults
but it never happened.

Over the past 14 years I have been contesting I have operated from stations
with  some big aluminum (n2nu, n2nt, n3bna, w2zq, v26b, 2e0uay) but I was never
able to run as fast as I can at K2TTT and I attribute that to the filtering and
audio quality of the K3.  With the K3 I can always find a run frequency with no
QRM from adjacent stations and I can copy stations lower down in the noise
level.  I do not consider myself to be a great CW operator but with last 10
rates at times approaching 300 and a best hour rate of 160 I'm pretty happy.
(Note: comparison radios are FT1000mp, IC761, IC781, IC756, IC756pro, IC775,
IC746, FT2000, IC7700)

Thank you to all the DX stations for calling in, it is not a contest without
you.

Big thanks to K2TTT and his wife for letting me come over and play with his
toys.

Best 73 and CU in SSB,
Zev N2WKS