[3830] ARRLDX CW M6T(@G0KPW) M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 20 15:24:50 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: M6T
Operator(s): G4BUO, G4PIQ, G4TSH, M0DXR
Station: G0KPW

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: JO02RF

   20: 1333    59
   15: 1482    59
Total: 4528   288  Total Score = 3,910,464

Rig : 2 x K3 + Acom 2000 / Alpha 87A

Ants
160m â€" 33m tall T + 580ft Beverage
80m â€" 4 square
40m â€" 3el wire yagi @ 24m
20m - 4el @ 28m
15m - 5el @ 28m
10m - 5el @ 28m

There seem to have been two major parts of Europe for this contest â€" the
South
West (mainly CT, EA, CU etc.), and the rest - with the rest having a grading of

increasing grimness as you headed further North-East. Looking at the multiplier

scores out of the South West on 160 & 10 is like looking at a different contest

to us! Equally â€" I’m glad that we had better 80 & 160 propagation than
OH8X!

We found 160m poor throughout, with the first night being particularly bad.
80m played reasonably well although our QSO total is not that high. 40m was
best on the first night and it was good to see it open after 80 had closed
both mornings, however the Saturday and Sunday evenings on 40m were very hard
work. We felt right out of the propagation.

20m & 15m were in decent shape with some great signals out of the West coast.

10m was disappointing. We had a limited opening on Saturday which started skew

path and turned direct, but on Sunday the big guns on the East Coast were about

539 and we just caught W0AIH poking their head over the noise at about 1630. I

heard a few West Coast stations very weakly calling Caribbean / SA stations
skewed path over South America later that afternoon, but couldn’t hear anyone

calling CQ or raise anyone with my own CQ calls.

All the radio equipment ran well, but we had a pile of computer hardware
failures. While we had spare PCs to hand, the Win-Test registration server
being down meant that we couldn’t register them. So we had to log on paper on

one station (right at the peak of the 10m opening so who knows what we missed
from the RBN) for an hour until we could get the right software build and
interfaces onto a spare laptop which had an existing valid registration key.
My writing was always bad, but it’s got worse and I’d have a 20% UBN rate
just
from transcription errors if I had to log on paper. We did remark that our
newest and youngest operator M0DXR (welcome Mark), doesn’t even remember
paper
logging and we’d have to teach him how to deal with a manual dupe sheet…

On the Friday, while winding up the towers and setting out antennas, we became

slightly concerned about the levels to which the competition might be taken as

an Apache helicopter gunship circled the site...

Many thanks to all for the QSOs and moves. Special thanks for Bob, G4BAH for
the use of the station.

73,

Andy, G4PIQ for team M6T