[3830] ARRLDX CW NQ4I M/M HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 20 17:26:06 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: NQ4I
Operator(s): WA1S, W4DD, K4TD, N4FD, W8ZF, KY4F, AA4LR, VE7ZO, K4BAI, NQ4I
Station: NQ4I

Class: M/M HP
QTH: GA

   40: 1667   122
   20: 2223   135
   15: 1745   136
   10:  951   109
-------------------
Total: 7284   650  Total Score = 14,203,800

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

We were a little apprehensive going into the contest this year as a number of
our key ops were away in PJ4 having some fun on the other end of the pile.  As
it turned out, the short staffing worked out pretty well as we filled operating
gaps as the need arose.  In the process, we did achieve our primary goal of
beating the previous 4 land MM record.

The ongoing upgrading of the antenna system at NQ4I has been paying off with
good results in the last CQ WW CW and now the ARRL DX CW.   160M was staffed
only part time although 56 C and 135 Q’s were worked.  The 80M 12 el LPA
installed last summer finally allowed us to run EU for an extended period,
usually a rare occurrence here in GA.   The reverse beacon network showed that
signals were comparable into Europe with the benchmark stations in the
Northeast when the band was open.  On 40M, the 3/3 stack worked well and the
new 4 el KLM at 145 ft was an effective mult antenna although there was an
arcing issue with the antenna near the feed point that made the station highly
unpopular with the other run ops.  Signals on 20M were there round the clock
including early mornings when JA and EU were open simultaneously.  The 8/5/5
20M yagi stack has been very flexible and not much change is anticipated here.
   The 15M team won the internal country multiplier contest as well as retaining
the best multiplier passing award.  10M was a surprise with a solid opening to
Europe on Saturday morning that unfortunately wasn’t fully repeated on
Sunday.  It was great to have a brief Scandinavian opening over the pole late
Sunday afternoon that was reminiscent of a cycle or so ago.

We post our results on both getscores.org and cqcontest.ru and enjoy the event
live with other competitors.   Also, the reverse beacon network provides a
wonderful tool for comparing signal levels with our main competitors and gives
direction where station improvement is needed.   (also passes the time when the
rates drop)

Thanks for all the Q’s that made this an enjoyable event for our team and we
hope to work you in the next scheduled - WPX CW.

Jim VE7ZO