[3830] ARRLDX CW K0TV M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Feb 21 14:56:12 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): W1END, K1BG, WO1N, K2TE, K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: NH, FN42hr

   20: 1010    99
   15: 1045   112
Total: 3316   506  Total Score = 5,012,436

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Last year we didn't operate this contest but this year we had
lots of fun. The team was a bit smaller as Rex, K1HI went over
and operated a M/S with N1BA instead of coming here. Rex was
missed but Ken, WO1N stepped up to the plate and put in a
MAJOR effort. Thanks for coming Ken! K1AJ visited the shack
on Sunday. Bruce is an old friend of both K1BG and myself.
K1AJ has been a bit inactive the last few years but I think
he'll be coming down here in the fall.

During the CQWW 160 CW contest, one of my amplifier decks
failed on 160 so I switched to using the other one. The short
story was that both amplifier decks ended up inoperative
on Friday afternoon. Luckily Bruce, K1BG lent us his AL-1200
and I was able to take a spare amp and get up and running
OK on all the stations.

In general, the antennas worked well but we didn't have
any rotatable antenna for 20 meters. The fixed antennas
worked well and I don't think we suffered much on 20 meters.

The low bands were better the second night but the first
night both Bruce and I had fun on 80 and 40. Eldon, W1END;
Bruce, K1BG; and Ken, WO1N were our go to guys for the
runs. Near the end of the contest, Ken and Eldon were
having a race between 20 and 15 to see who would end up with
the most contacts. 15 being ahead for the better part of
the weekend but when Eldon got a hold of 20, he forged
ahead. We ended up with a few more contacts on 15 than
20 but they were awfully close.

I am personally feeling lots more comfortable sitting in
a run chair than I used to be. I generally like to let the
guest operators spend most of the time in the chairs rather
than take the time for myself.

For most of the time when I was calling CQ, I would be wishing
for someone to spot us but hours would go by with no spots.
I would sometimes be heard saying, "Come on! Somebody spot
me!" Every so often I'd get spotted with the wrong call
and a bunch of stations would show up to dupe me. Then
someone would make the correct spot and the dupes would
stop

At the end of the contest, I decided to find a frequency and
call CQ on 80 for the last few minutes. At 23:57, I was spotted
and the pile up came on. I was only able to put a few people
into the log before the contest ended. Sorry to those who
didn't get into the log before the contest ended.

Hard to tell who gets the MVP for this contest. I'll have
to give it to Eldon, who's never won this honor before.
Bruce and Ken get honorable mentions, but they've both won
before. Eldon gets the award for sitting in the chair for hours
at a time on both days and just putting lots of contacts in the log.

Thanks for everyone who called in and we'll see everyone
in two weeks for the SSB weekend.

73, Jerry