[3830] ARRLDX CW TG9/K9NW(@TG9IGI) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Feb 21 17:40:35 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: TG9/K9NW
Operator(s): K9NW
Station: TG9IGI

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Guatemala City

   20:    5     5
Total:  748   109  Total Score = 244,596

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

It was nice to have a work trip line up perfectly with a major DX contest.  I
expected Friday to be a full work day and I expected to miss the first night.
But I was still hoping to hand out 3-4K QSOs in the remaining time.  What I
hadn't expected was to have eaten something bad sometime mid-week, which kicked
my butt for the better part of 4 days.

I awoke Saturday morning feeling quite a bit better than the previous two days
and thought things had run their course.  Juan, TG9AJR picked me up at my hotel
and we made the short drive over to see Gerry, TG9IGI.  After a quick rundown on
what was what, I set up on 10 and had at it for a couple hours.  After a short
break for lunch with Gerry and his wife, I gave it a go on 15 for another
couple hours when I started feeling not so good again.  A quick nap seemed
appropriate but I woke up feeling even worse.  Gave it another short go on 10
and quickly realized this just wasn't going to work anymore.  So after 4 1/2
hours of op time, I reluctantly tapped out.  Had a quick peek on 20 while
waiting for the taxi to arrive to haul me back to the hotel.

My sincere thanks to Juan and Gerry (and his wife) for their assistance and
great hospitality, accommodating me on pretty short notice.  These work trips
to foreign lands are notorious for last minute changes but once things began to
"lock in" about two weeks prior, Juan went about securing licensing for me, and
then coordinated things with Gerry.  (And even tore apart his own station and
brought it along just in case it was needed.)  Thank you so much!

Obviously, I was hoping for more but at least I didn't completely miss out on
one of the big ones.  It's been 12 years since I last operated ARRL CW from the
DX side...maybe we'll have to try this again!

73, Mike TG9/K9NW