[3830] ARRLDX CW PJ4X(@PJ4G) M/M HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Feb 22 18:47:20 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: PJ4X
Operator(s): K1XX, K1QX, W1MD, NK1Z, W4IX, K5KG, WA1Z
Station: PJ4G

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Bonaire

--------------------
Total: 10701   352  Total Score = 11,262,240

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

And a great time was had by all!  We decided to push the envelope a bit at
Noah's PJ4G station and have a go at MM using 4 stations.  The house is power
limited and we could only run the equivalent of two 1500 watt amplifiers at any
one time.  Hence, we mostly ran each station at 600-700 watts.  With maybe one
exception, this didn't seem to hurt us too bad.

The C31XR antenna at 60 feet seems to work exceptionally well on 10, 15, and
20.  We also have a C19 fixed on the US on another tower.  To make the station
much more versatile, last year Noah designed and built a high-power triplexer
so that the 3 high-band stations could simultaneously use the C31XR.  It worked
super!  When some local line noise would pop us, we would switch to the C19 and
keep making QSOs with a minimum of fuss.  Inter-station interference was almost
nonexistent which isn't bad for four stations crammed inside a telephone booth.

All good contests aren't without a few issues.  Some poor quality, pre-made RF
jumper cables and poorer quality SPDT RF switches gave us some headaches.  And
then, we had to take time to change the RF relay board in one of the AL-1200
amplifiers. That was a chore, especially without a whole lot of sleep.

Based on the TI5W 160-meter score and other data points, the reports of being
an alligator on 160 were not exaggerated.  Guess that's a problem to be fixed
for next year.

Congratulations to the TI5W team.  It takes a lot to set up and run a
successful operation.  My hat's off to them.  Now the question is whether we're
2nd or 3rd in the MM category.  Guess we'll wait for the appearance by PJ2T.

It was a great time and a great crew.  Plus, many thanks to Hans, PJ4LS, for
his invaluable support.

73 charlie, k1xx
ps - QSL to W1MD for this operation.