[3830] NAQP RTTY VA7ST Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Feb 25 23:07:16 PST 2012

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - February

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC

Total:  567   195  Total Score = 110,565

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Team: Aurora Busters

Comments:

* SO2R unassisted LP (FT-2000/FT-920 and N1MM + MMTTY)
* SteppIR 3-element at 27'
* 40M SteppIR dipole at 27'
* All-band 18AVT/WB on 5 radials, each ~37.5'
* 80M twin-vertical array E-W

Put in 9.5 hours (overshot my 2-hour off time by half an hour -- 2335 to
0200z). Managed to set a personal best, but 80M wasn't very good out here and I
left a lot of mults on the table.

First serious SO2R outing, now that I have filters for all five bands and a DX
Doubler to do things properly. 322 Qs on Radio 1, 245 Qs on radio 1. Used an
all-band vertical hurriedly put up on Friday night in a freezing sleet. Too icy
cold this morning to put down all 20 radials I had prepped, so just went with a
minimal setup: 5 radials on ground for the second radio on the high bands,
which worked out fine -- surprisingly well for JAs calling in on 15M.

Only disappointment was 80M, which wasn't very strong to anywhere but the PNW,
until the final half hour when a few new mults showed up (NY, UT, SD). Was
hoping for 45 mults on 80M but landed just 30. I don't know if the twin
vertical array is not working properly or if the band was just lousy, but it
was frustrating to work only 48 stations during the three hours or so I was on
that band.

Had arranged an Orca DX and Contest Club team (OrcaTypes) -- ended up with six
of us, so I took myself off the OrcaTypes roster and scrambled to put together
the cross-Canada "Aurora Busters" from previous years. I think just me and Ed
VE4EAR were active as Aurora Busters.

Set a personal best by a wide margin -- not in Qs, but certainly in mults and
score.

Thanks to all for the contacts and NCJ for the contest.

-- Bud VA7ST

http://www.va7st.ca/home.html
http://www.orcadxcc.org

NAQP      Qs    Mults   Score (claimed)
==============================
2012 Feb  567   195    110,565   9.5 hrs
2011 Feb  522   150     78,300  10   hrs
2010 Feb  574   161     92,414  10   hrs
2009 Feb  367   122     44,774   9   hrs
2008 Feb  421   131     55,151
2007 Feb  454   134     60,836
2006 Feb  401   141     56,541
2005 Feb  420   142     59,640