[3830] CQ160 SSB CE1/K7CA Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 26 05:48:28 PST 2012

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: CE1/K7CA
Operator(s): CE1/K7CA
Station: CE1/K7CA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Huasco
Operating Time (hrs): 8:31

Total:  QSOs = 88  State/Prov = 29  Countries = 11  Total Score = 33,000

This was my first time operating in a 160 SSB contest.  The conditions seemed
like the worst I've ever seen on 160m.  Maybe that's because you can hear
deeper into the noise on CW but I don't think that is the whole story. There
were a few signals mostly out of the noise both nights like WB9Z, K3ZM, N2CEI,
VE3TA, XE1RCS and a few Caribbean stations.  But not many. Most stations I
worked were only copyable for a few seconds on peaks and then back into the
noise for several minutes. It also seemed like I was hearing most stations
better than they were hearing me.  Normally it is the other way around since my
summer QRN makes me hear much worse and this contest was no exception as to QRN.
 I called FM5CD at least 50 or 100 times with no luck.  He must really have good
rejection off the back of his RX antenna.  One surprise was working OL7M on
Sunday AM for the only EU worked/heard.  He popped out of the noise when I was
scanning the band, we worked, then I never heard him again.  The first night I
managed to run about 10 or 15 stations and the rest of the contest was entirely
S/P, somthing new for me. It is frustrating when I hear a strong station, like
VE6SV, calling and working stations but never calling CQ himself.  If he had,
I'm sure I would have heard him.  In all, it was an interesting experience, one
that I'm not sure I'll do again.  The 160m antenna is coming down today and will
be stored until next November when we make the trip down for the winter again.
It's nice to have summer 2 times a year.  73, Al CE1/K7CA