[3830] CQ160 SSB VE6JY Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 26 12:38:01 PST 2012

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: VE6JY
Operator(s): VE6JY
Station: VE6JY

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: Ab

Total:  QSOs = 353  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 9  Total Score = 110,656

>From my landlocked 4 square in somewhat frozen and snowy Alberta, Friday was
mostly what I'd call a normal evening, i.e. not very good.   The bigger
stations on the east coast are workable (VY2ZM and N4PN were consistently
loud), Europe is a dream  (and yes, we consider VO1/2 to be part of Europe for
this one...) and the Carribean was workable but not many of them to pick from.
I only called CQ here from almost 0800 thru 0930 and the best mults that
answered were VE9HF and KH6AT but I listened a fair bit (and made a few
wideband Perseus recordings earlier) and gave out the multiplier to whomever
could hear me.

Decided to do more cq'ing the second night but conditions were really quite bad
until 0700 or later. Holding a frequency for long wasn't easy either with these
conditions.

It never ceases to amaze/confuse me that when I'm searching and calling
stations, anyone that isn't fairly solid copy will virtually NEVER hear me.
Yet when I call CQ, I get stations answering me that are so weak I'd never even
consider calling them, yet they often comment on how loud I am. This happened a
LOT more than normal this weekend.

73 Don
VE6JY