[3830] ARRLDX CW K6NA SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 26 13:38:51 PST 2012

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K6NA
Operator(s): K6NA
Station: K6NA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: SoCal

Total: 1806   369  Total Score = 1,999,242

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I intended a full effort but the cards didn't fall right for me... which happens
sometimes for an owner/operator in this game.

About ten days before the contest, I encountered a fairly minor maintenance
issue on one of the towers.  As I worked to resolve it, I noticed another,
bigger issue-- namely, a broken steel rotator plate under the 40m Yagi system.
This plate has to safely hold a prop pitch motor and about 450-pounds of antenna
and mast. The antenna still turned, but I realized my only recourse was to
repair it fully ASAP, in light of possibly severe winter storms causing much
bigger damage.  So, I found another plate and jumped into the repair process,
while dodging several days' rainshowers and other projects.  After five hours
of final tower-time on Friday, I finished the work about an hour before the
contest started.

Thanks go to Paul, WN6K, who cheerfully manned the bucketline for me for a
couple of days.  He started the contest late, too!

Congratulations to all the participants; I know everyone experienced many
interesting moments in the contest.

73, Glenn K6NA