[3830] CQ160 SSB N6WG Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Feb 27 09:39:29 PST 2012

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA

Total:  QSOs = 77  State/Prov = 75  Countries = 2  Total Score = 2,873

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

This may not have been the best use of my time this year, but I still enjoyed it
(most of the time).  Had to really struggle for about half of my Qs, usually me
trying to hear the other guy.  Really bad noise level this year, so can't tell
if it was just poor propagation or low participation.  Just couldn't hear many
of the stations I've worked in past years.

This gave me a real world test of a new receiving loop, and at least it
performed better than my existing loops, so I think I'll continue developing it
in hopes of hearing a bit better in my new noisier environment.

I'm sure my score will be reduced some when the log checkers go to work.  Some
of my QSOs were definitely ESP class, and I'm not fully confident that I'm in
the other guy's log.  But I'm optimistic, as I figure he needs the Q too.

I did learn something more of the noise reduction tools in my K3, so that also
helped me copy some of the less than robust signals I was hearing.  This kind
of contest really makies me appreciate cw, as I'm sure several more QSOs would
be in my log.

My highlight was working VY2ZM on PEI.  This was also one of my ESP QSOs.
Then, after a bit of CQing, KL7RA called me.  Only real disappointment was
never hearing a single KH6.  Usually they are a sure thing for me, but nothing
heard this time.

The setup here is pretty plain vanilla.  My K3/10 at 5w, N1MM Logger, a 60 ft
wire vertical with top and bottom loading, and my receiving loop with an old
AMECO preamp in the shack.

Thanks to all who struggled along with me to complete our Qs.  Hope to do
better in the next go around.

73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude