[3830] CQ160 SSB K3STX Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Feb 28 07:21:44 PST 2012

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: K3STX
Operator(s): K3STX
Station: K3STX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MD

Total:  QSOs = 184  State/Prov = 37  Countries = 1  Total Score = 16,036

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I am CW op, but I love 160 so I thought I would give this a try for the first
time ever. But this was rough. I don't know how you SSB contesters do it, that
garble just above and below the listening frequency makes it nearly impossible
to dig out weak signals. I did use my "narrow" 1.8 kc filter almost always. But
it WAS fun having runs (that is all I did, no S&P). At one point my last 10 QSO
rate was 360 QSO/hr! That was fun. I guess my final rate overall was 90/hr, but
it really wasn't fun and I just stopped. I sort of felt guilty having guys call
me who I could barely hear KNOWING that I don't have the skills to finish the
QSO.

But it was a learning experience, practice for SS SSB next year.

paul
Kenwood TS-850S, 400 watt amp, 160M inverted L (70' vertical) with about 30
radials