[3830] IARU W1UE/WRTC M/S LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jul 15 14:18:41 PDT 2012

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W1UE/WRTC
Operator(s): W1UE,W1KM
Station: W1UE

Class: M/S LP
QTH: MA

  160:     0     0      0        0
   80:   154    16     22       20
   40:   371    66     50       33
   20:   518   162     63       45
   15:   417    85     64       38
   10:    47    10     14       10
-------------------------------------
Total:  1507   339    213      146  Total Score = 2,183,797

IARU Contest, WRTC style.
2 ops, 2 radios (100w max output), 1 tribander @40ft, 1 homebrew triplexer, 40M
dipole @38ft, 80M dipole @38ft.  Everything was erected on Friday, taken down on
Sunday.  It was a Field Day effort, with less of an overall station than many
Field Day Sites.

The above breakdown is using WRTC 2014 RULES; where it says "Zones" it is
really "DXCC Countries" for us.  The QSO pts for working different zones is
also different from IARU rules; same zone (8), HQ stations, and IARU Officials
are all worth 2 pts, different zones/same continent worth 3 pts, and different
zone/different continent worth 5 pts.

Being used to high power, I have never had so many stations continually CQ in
my face as I had this weekend.  Many I eventually got through to, but not all.
20M stayed open until 0600Z, then faded away.  4O3A and E7DX could be heard
calling CQ for hours Sunday Z time, but I couldn't even get a ? from them.
Between the 100w and their beams being turned the wrong way, they couldn't hear
me.

No polar opening.  Worked 1 JA station on 15M, and that was Saturday morning
and was a HQ station.  We listened, but never heard.  Did hear weak JAs calling
Europeans Sunday GMT, but they peaked at 240deg and were never strong enough to
actually copy a call sign.

KM and I decided to breakdown the bands as such: I did 10, 20, and 80M, and
Greg did 40M.  We were able to hear European stations on 10M as late as our
sunset Saturday night, but we had already worked them.  One nice thing about
the HQ stations- they act as beacons on the different bands.  They will be
there, even if no one else is there.  They also generally use high power and
good antenna systems, which creates more Qs.

Thanks to everyone for the Qs, to the WRTC organizing committee for putting
this all together, and to Greg W1KM for keeping me going while he was way ahead
on 15M Qs while I was duking it out on 20M at the start.

Dennis W1UE