[3830] IARU OK1CZ SO CW LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jul 17 13:23:51 PDT 2012

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: OK1CZ
Operator(s): OK1CZ
Station: OK1CZ

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: JO70

  160:    37    0       5       23
   80:   208    0      13       30
   40:   238    0      21       36
   20:   266    0      22       37
   15:   250    0      25       36
   10:    52    0       8        8
-------------------------------------
Total:  1051    0      94      170  Total Score = 791,208

I entered the IARU contest in a "light mode" because both my 3 el. Yagi and the
LF vertical are currently down for maintenance and my "real" contest shack is
still in construction.  So all I had was a TS-480 and two wire antennas, a Vee
2x54m at about 13m, fed with open wire, balun and coax to the tuner, and a
Carolina Windom style OCF about 10m up.  90% of the contacts on all bands were
made with the Vee antenna the performance of which was a pleasant surprise from
80m up.

I started late but continued to operate throughout the night except for 2 hour
sleep in the morning for a total of 21.5 hours at the key.
And I mean the key because I enjoyed keying with the paddle throughout the
contest.

Condx seemed good 80-15m.
10m was disappointing, just a PY, LU and a few EU short skip QSOs. And heard
VU2BGS on Sunday who could not hear me.
160m was a struggle with the low wires that was sending all the energy to the
heavens so after working some mults I soon went back to 80m.
About 75% of the QSOs were made in S&P but I had a few good runs too although
nothing special, max. rate being 81.
Both 80 and 40m were in good shape allowing me work quite a few W/VE and also a
couple of SA stations. On 80m I could not get further than the East coast,
although heard W5 and spent quite a time trying to reach NU1AW/9 on 80 but only
once got a "QRZ?".

I had good fun and enjoyed the contest thorougly with the simple set up.
Thanks every one for the QSOs. 73 and see you in the next contest.