[3830] IARU W1AW/7 Headquarters HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jul 17 15:39:11 PDT 2012

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W1AW/7
Operator(s): AA7A, AA7V, AB7E, K6WSC, K7FA, K7JQ, K7KR, K7LY, K8IA, KC7V, KD6GHX, KE2VB, KE7DX, KF0X, KS5A, KY7M, N4TLO, N5IA, N6KZ, N6SS, N6VR, N7AZ, N7DD, N7RQ, N7RT, NA2U, NI5L, NI7R, W2AJW, W4LSC, W5CF, W6XI, W7ZR, W8AEF, W8TK, WA5Y, WA7LNW, WD5COV
Station: W1AW/7

Class: Headquarters HP
QTH: AZ

  160:   177     45     9        3
   80:   488    385    23       13
   40:   779    892    34       29
   20:  1323   1456    40       39
   15:  1116   1348    47       40
   10:   233    219    25       13
-------------------------------------
Total:  4116   4345   178      137  Total Score = 8,318,205

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

(Note: The above score info is from the N1MM Score Summary window. A spot check
of zone counts show N1MM to be slightly generous, and minor scoring variations
were seen between N1MM versions as well. )

First of all, many thanks to Dave Sumner K1ZZ, ARRL CEO and trustee of the W1AW
license, for allowing the Arizona Outlaws Contest Club the opportunity to use
W1AW/7 this weekend. Being the only station in the world giving out the unique
ARRL multiplier made many of our members feel like they were on a major contest
expedition. Tnx Dave!

Planning for IARU HF began last August with the first step being chosing a
"AOCC W1AW/7 Committee". Internationally known contester Mike KC7V was chosen
to chair the Committee and Guff KS5A, John K7WP and Bob K8IA were chosen to
serve too.

This planning evolved into 12 "primary stations", all over the state, being
configured for this event. Each station would be responsible for a band-mode.
These stations, for the mostpart, represented the better equipped contest
stations in AOCC. Primary station owners included, N7CW, K7KR, AB7E, K8IA,
N7DD, W8AEF, K7FA, N6SS, N7RT, AA7A, N6VR and N5IA.

(Unfortunately, Bud N7CW had to cancel on Friday night to be with his dad who
had just been taken to the hospital. Bud reported yesterday that his dad is
doing well and scheduled to go home.)

A number of "secondary/standby stations" were also assigned in case we had
weather or equipment issues at the primary stations. Mid-July in Arizona is
monsoon time, with historical instances of heavy rains, high winds and long
periods of lightning.

In fact, of the last four IARU HF efforts here at K8IA/N7AT, three of them were
subtantially curtailed due to closeby lightning storms. In 2011, for example,
two lightning storms hit after 0200Z and we lost the remaining ten hours.
Summertime in AZ is no time for a major contest!

The "secondary/standby" group included W6XI, KY7M, AA7V, KF7E and K7WP.

Each of the primary station owners agreed to open up their homes to other
members. This was a great gesture by all. In addition, it was strongly
communicated to the membership that this was a club event and any contest skill
set would be welcome. The focus was on AOCC member involvement and not on
score.

We ended up with 38 members operating at W1AW/7 locations, with band-operators
as follows;

10M CW = AA7V, K8IA
10M SSB = K7KR, N4TLO, N7AZ, N7RQ

15M CW = AB7E, K8IA
15M SSB = N7DD, KE2VB, W8TK, KF0X

20M CW = W8AEF, KC7V, K6WSC, NI7R
20M SSB = K7FA, W7ZR, K7LY, WA7LNW, W4LSC, KD6GHX, KY7M

40M CW = N6SS, KS5A, W6XI
40M SSB = N7RT, NA2U, K7JQ, W2AJW, KE7DX

80 CW = AA7A, KY7M
80 SSB = N6VR, N6KZ

160 CW&SSB = N5IA, W5CF, WA5Y, WD5COV, NI5L

In short, we all had a ball! Even with the CME hitting about 1830Z and really
messing things up, and the predicted severe monsoon stroms rearing their ugly
head during the morning and evening, and closing down several primary stations,
the enthusiasm was always there.

Some of our ops live in HOA areas and were in heaven this weekend operating a
W1AW/7 locale. Imagine yourself, like one of our members, having a 40m dipole
at 56" high (that is INCHES) and now sitting at the fine station of N7RT using
a full sized 40m 4 el yagi at 130 feet! Or one of our contest newbie members,
in only his first or second contest, on 20m ssb at the K7FA station, wondering
if he should use the 6 el 20m monbander at 165', or the TH7 at 80' or the 4 el
monobander at 52'. What a rush!

Of course, some of our ops are veteran contesters as you an see by the
recognizable callsigns above. They, too, had a world of contest fun.

Thanks again K1ZZ and thanks to all of those who worked us on as many bands as
possible.

See you all in the Fall contest season. Of course, signing a "normal" callsign
and giving out a common multiplier won't be as nearly as much fun as W1AW/7
was. We've been spoiled now.

73, Bob K8IA
President
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club