[3830] IARU N9NB Headquarters LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sat Jul 21 20:14:55 PDT 2012

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N9NB
Operator(s): N9NB, N9NB, K5GO
Station: N9NB

Class: Headquarters LP
QTH: MA

  160:
   80:   142    15     19       17
   40:   339    89     48       32
   20:   454   148     62       42
   15:   400    86     60       37
   10:    58    26     14       14
-------------------------------------
Total:  1393   364    203      142  Total Score = 2,189,025

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

We were one of 13 or so test stations for the WRTC preparation by the Yankee
Clipper Contest Club. The planning and organization for this "field day" style
test was fantastic, and a tremendous amount of work was done by K1DG,
K1RX,K1KI, and countless others in YCCC leading up to the event.

Each of the 13 or so WRTC teams were assigned an operating location in the
NH/MA area, with each team having 3 leaders. For our team it was Beam Team
Captain (Tom, N9NC), a Site Team Captain (Wayne, KB1WXR), and an operating
captain (Ted, N9NB). We picked up our gear in Wayne's pick up truck at 8am on
Friday, at a central rental storage center--towers, generators, tent, water,
yagi and dipoles, cables -- it was all remarkably organized, we popped in,
loaded up, and off we drove for an hour to our site, filling the generator and
getting food provisions on the way. As soon as we left the storage unit, the
next team came to pick up their gear, and on it went all Friday morning....with
K1DG, K1KI and K1RX making sure the serial numbers and items were checked off as
each team departed to their site.

We arrived at our location at Ayre, MA (Ft. Devens) at 1030am, picking up the
key from Micha, the property manager who was quite kind and helpful-driving us
to the site a couple of miles away.  Our operating site was on a 4400 acre
retired army base that had been transformed into a high tech park, golf course,
and property development zone. Our site was in a locked part of the acreage,
with many tall trees surrounding an undeveloped part of the property -- we were
given a key to lock the gate to the main road and saw no other humans during the
weekend, except for a stray bike rider who came by Saturday afternoon and
quickly scurried off when he saw the antennas, generator and caution tape that
surrounded our operating area. Our Site Captain Wayne took good care of the key
and kept the site secure and safe/clean the entire time.

We spent most all of the daylight hours on Friday erecting the contest station
and testing the generator/tent-- with the tower presenting the usual challenges
of unused, untested tower sections. The preparations for the whench/hoist and
base system were extremely well thought out, and we were able to identify
various parts of the set up that could be improved next year.

 We were up and operating (and completely exhausted) at 9:30pm Friday, and were
especially tired since N9NC and N9NB had stayed up virtually all of the night
before taking apart N9NC's home station and loading his car with gear. We did
not yet have the computers networked when we ended our work day on Friday --
but were greatly relieved and received a terrific suprise when Stan K5GO (donor
of all the yagis from Cycle 24) joined us at the last minute Friday morning
(and,  fortunately,  brought his laptop).  The 3 operators (N9NB, N9NC, K5GO)
checked into a local hotel and got 5 hours sleep, and KB1WXR (Wayne) and his
father in law Jon (whose call I forget -very sorry) arrived back at sunrise
Saturday to try and network our PCs. Unfortunately, with the exhaustion and
time pressure, we failed at both objectives: We were not able to network our
PCs, and we did not get our voice keyer working -- BUMMER!  Nevertheless, we
operated true field day style, and had a terrific time.

Wayne KB1WXR and his father in law Jon were just recently licensed, and we gave
Wayne a shot at the microphone where he did a terrific job logging his first
contest QSOs.Wayne and Jon surprised us with subs and salads on Saturday night!
What a treat.

We had great help from Joe KM1P who was there with us Friday setting up the
tower, and also helping us tear down on Sunda, and also  George W1EBI on tear
down.

All in all, it was a great time -- good fun doing field day style contesting
for a good cause -- the WRTC preparation. We came up with about 25 suggestions
for improving the operations for next year, and with 13 teams, there will be
excellent feedback, improvements, and testing of the signal strengths at all
the sites. Interestingly, YCCC had all stations beaming in particular
directions and different times of the contest, so that all stations could be
benchmarked and compared for signal strenghts around the world on different
bands.

Thanks everyone and especially YCCC for the fun, and the QSOs.

Band  Mode  QSOs    Pts  Cty   HQ
   3.5  CW     142     461   17   14
   3.5  LSB     15      45    2    3
     7  CW     339    1138   41   27